News

Nick Kyrgios charged with common assault


Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios is due to face court next month, charged with common assault, believed to be related to a former girlfriend.

Police confirmed a 27-year-old man from Watson, a suburb of Canberra, was scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on August 2 in relation to one charge of common assault.

Kyrgios didn’t comment as he passed journalists on the way to practice at Wimbledon on Tuesday.

Nick Kyrgios of Australia plays a forehand at Wimbledon. (Getty)
Kyrgios’ barrister, Jason Moffett from Key Chambers, told The Canberra Times he had been briefed on the matter and the player was aware of the charge.

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he told the newspaper.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.

“Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”

Moffett didn’t respond to calls from 9News late on Tuesday.

Police said the charge stemmed from an incident in December 2021.

Kyrgios is due to play Chilean Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close