News

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry ‘uninvited’ from VIP reception at Buckingham Palace


Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly been “uninvited” to a state reception hosted by the King Charles on Sunday.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are said to have received an invitation earlier this week for the grand event at Buckingham Palace.

The gathering, which will see foreign VIPs meet on the eve of Her Majesty’s funeral, is set to be the largest of world leaders in modern history.

But palace officials have reportedly insisted it is for working royals only, and aides insist Meghan, 41, and Harry, 37, are unlikely to attend, The Telegraph reports.

Over 500 heads of state and dignitaries have been invited to the VIP reception hosted by King Charles III.

The dress code for the event, to be held in the palace’s Picture Gallery and State Rooms, is lounge suits in line with the royal family’s official mourning period.

A spokesman for the King said: “This is one of the last moments for Her Majesty the Queen as opposed to the first for His Majesty.”

The confusion over whether the Sussexes will be there echoes that which surrounded Harry’s uniform ban earlier this week.

It was initially understood Harry would be banned from wearing his military colours at a vigil held by the Queen’s grandchildren on Saturday.

But in a move later said to be a “one-off,” the duke was given special permission to wear it for the 15-minute period of reflection at Westminster Hall, with Prince Andrew also wearing military gear despite being stripped of his HRH titles.

Meanwhile, Meghan and Harry will travel to the Queen’s funeral separately on Monday.

King Charles will once again lead his family in marching behind Her Majesty’s coffin when it is moved from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey.

Behind him and his siblings will be the Queen’s grandsons Peter Phillips, Duke of Sussex and the Prince of Wales in a show of unity.

Meghan and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, will follow in a car behind.

Global leaders are set to arrive in London this weekend and are expected to pay their own respects to Queen Elizabeth with visits to Westminster Hall where she is lying in state.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, US President Joe Biden, France’s Emmanuel Macron, China Vice President Wang Qishan, Prime Minister of New Zealand Jacinda Ardern and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau are all expected.

Meanwhile dozens of members of foreign Royal Families — including Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako of Japan, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain and King Philip and Queen Mathilde of Belgium — will be among the 2000 mourners at Westminster Abbey.

Buckingham Palace has been approached for comment.

This story originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.